Breakfast Pile-Up

Monday, January 2, 2012

I'm back! With the holidays behind me it's time to get back to my food blogging...

Finally, a recipe of my own to share! While laying in bed struggling between rolling back over, and getting up and embracing my extra day off for the New Year, I came up with this breakfast idea to use ingredients I had handy. What I created, I refer to as Breakfast Pile-Up. It may be that the idea already exist somewhere, but if it does I haven't seen the official recipe so don't tell me! LOL It is very simple and very yummy so how much better can it get on a lazy morning, right? Hope you'll try it!

INGREDIENTS: (serves 2)
-3 to 4 medium potatoes, scrubbed
-canola oil
-1 tbsp minced garlic
-1 tbsp onion powder
-salt and pepper to taste
-shredded cheddar cheese, at least 1/2 cup but it's however much you prefer
-cubed ham (I used deli sliced I had, but you can use chunkier)
-2 to 4 eggs

DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat a thin layer of canola oil in bottom of frying pan
2. Slice potatoes EXTREMELY thin, try for around 1/8 inch and stay consistent so they will cook evenly and add to hot oil
3. Add in garlic, onion powder, salt, and pepper, and cook til potatoes become tender and start to crisp up

*Potatoes Cooking*

4. Add cubed/sliced ham and continue to cook for 2 minutes til ham is hot and slightly seared
5. Split mixture between two plates

*Layer 1 of the Pile-Up*

6. Add desired amount of shredded cheddar cheese on top

*Layer 2 of the Pile-Up*

7. Fry 1 to 2 eggs to desired level of cooked (I prefer hard)

*Layer 3 of the Pile-Up*

8. Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper and serve with toast!

*Ready to Serve!*

And there you have it! It's really just a different take on your breakfast basics, but I like the way this came together, especially the very thin crispy flavorful potatoes! Chris was depressed there were no seconds so guess this is a good sign :) Let me know what you think!

Til next time...

Lizzy <3

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Lizzy's Home Cookin' Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino